Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How do I homeschool multiple ages?

A reader asks:
"How do I homeschool multiple ages?"

Tami's response:
"This year I am homeschooling children from age 2 to 18. This presents some challenges. What I have found is that the younger children need me to give them my undivided attention for a short time at the beginning of the day in order to "fill their love tanks." Once I have spent some time with the younger ones, they are more apt to spend some time playing quietly with toys and activities while I work with my older children. I highly recommend the book Preschool Activities in a Bag. It gives ideas for activities that you can assemble ahead of time for your younger children."

"I also have the older children work on subjects that they can complete with little assistance from me while I am spending time with the younger children. Once I have the younger children occupied with an activity, I will work one-on-one with the older children as needed."

"Of my school-aged children, the ones who need me the most are the beginning readers. I have to spend a lot of time on phonics instruction with my 5 and 6 yr olds. So I have to factor that time into my schedule, and sometimes I will spend this intensive instruction time with the child during the younger children's nap time."

"Another strategy I have for teaching multiple ages is to combine teaching as much as possible. All of the children in middle school and below are on the same topic in Bible, history, and science. Each child receives an assignment in reading or writing based on his age. But the overall teaching of the topic is the same. I have found KONOS to be the best curriculum for multi-age teaching."

Until next time, Tami

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home