Monday, May 04, 2009

Can I homeschool an only child?

A reader asks:
"Can I homeschool an only child?"

Tami's response:
"I can answer that question with a resounding, "Yes." You can homeschool an only child. There are perks to homeschooling an only child. Your student will have one-on-one instruction. You will also get to know one another quite well, since your attention is not divided among several children."

"I have a very close friend who is homeschooling her only child. And it has been a blessing to the whole family. My friend's husband works a job with a lot of shift changes. Homeschooling their daughter has enabled him to have a relationship with her that he might have missed out on, if she had a traditional schedule and was gone for most of the day."

"A dear friend of mine, Donna Connor, wrote a book called, Homeschooling Only One. It is very insightful for those who are considering homeschooling an only child or who is currently homeschooling an only child. You will find many resources on her blog that I linked to."

"One thing that I have taken from all the reading I have done on homeschooling an only child is that you need to incorporate outside activities for both of you to have a social outlet of some kind."

Until next time, Tami

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home