Thursday, May 07, 2009

Can I homeschool through high school?

A reader asks:
"Can I homeschool through high school?"

Tami's response:
"Yes, you can!"

"Many people are intimidated to homeschool through the high school years. It has been one of the biggest blessings of my life to homeschool my daughter through high school. Of course, I was nervous as that time approached for her, but looking back now that she is weeks away from graduation, I can say that it was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be."

"I did a lot of reading and research on homeschooling a high schooler. And there are so many resources available for high school that we had to make decisions on what to use for her. This is a good problem to have. Especially since I have a son who is approaching high school. Some of our curriculum choices will be different for him, as we help him choose studies to complement what he wants to do after high school."

"There are also online options for homeschooling a high schooler. And in many states, a high school student can take courses at the community college level. These courses can be counted both as high school credits and college credits. I know of many homeschool students who graduate from high school and community college at the same time. It is worth looking into in your area."

"You can also look into internships and other experiences for your high school students. The choices are endless. I spent a lot of time reading of the accomplishments of the current graduating class in my statewide homeschool group newsletter, and many of the graduates have had missionary experiences during high school."

"Homeschooling in high school is what you and your student make of it. Just be aware of requirements in your state for high school. And also prayerfully consider your child's plans for adulthood."

Until next time, Tami

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home